My idea of a perfect weekend morning is waking up without an alarm, relaxing in bed, then enjoying a slow breakfast over coffee with my husband, Kirk. On one of these perfect weekend mornings recently, Kirk created this delicious Crustless Breakfast Tart recipe using the ingredients we had in the fridge.
It was so good, he made it again the next day. Which gave me the chance to take a few photos and document the recipe to share with you!
This doesn’t take too long, but 20 minutes is much longer than I will spend on breakfast during the week. We used several fresh ingredients from our garden – onions and tomatoes. It’s always fun to cook with something you grew in your own backyard!
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 4 ounces lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- (optional toppings) shredded cheddar cheese, salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While preheating, saute onions for 5 minutes. Add beef and brown for 1 minute. Add spinach and wilt for 30 seconds. Stir in eggs and cook for 1 minute. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Divide mixture evenly into two ramekins. Top with cheese, salsa, or other desired toppings. Cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
Of course, you can easily customize this recipe based on your preferences. The ground beef could be substituted for any meat you have on hand – leftover steak or pork from dinner would be great. For vegetarians, you could substitute lentils or grated tempeh for the meat. Increase the veggies by adding diced peppers, asparagus, or brussels sprouts.
And for those days you don’t have as much time to cook, check out my other breakfast recipes.
Did you have a vegetable garden this year?
What ingredients would you add to customize this dish?