Have you been looking forward to Vodka week as much as I have? A very different ingredient from the others we’ve had here on Meatless Mondays from A-Z and so much fun to play with! I knew early on that I wanted to do something related to my favorite brunch drink, but it took me some time to land on muffins as the solution.
I was really surprised when I googled “Bloody Mary Muffin”, I didn’t really see any others. How can this be? Surely someone must have thought of this idea before me. Maybe my google skills are slipping…
Regardless, I did find a recipe for tomato spice muffins that I used as the starting point for this week’s creation. I don’t make muffins often, so the proportions were something I needed a head-start on. I also planned a horseradish vodka cream sauce, but that recipe still needs a little work. For now, you’ll have to start with these muffins…which really need to topping at all!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon ghost pepper salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 teaspoons Tabasco
- 3 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 7 tablespoons non-dairy Margarine melted and cooled
- 28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pepper vodka
- In a large bowl, combine the flour through pepper. Set aside
- In a food processor, combine the flax seeds through Worcestershire sauce and process until smooth. Add tomato mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- For full-size muffins:
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full and bake for 20 minutes (if a toothpick comes out clean, they’re ready). Allow to cool slightly before removing.
- For bite-size muffins:
- Coat mini-muffin pans with cookie spray. Fill each three-fourths full and bake for 15 minutes (if a toothpick comes out clean, they’re ready). Allow to cool and loosen the edges of each with a butter knife.
- Powered by
This made so much batter, that I decided to fill the mini-muffin pans to reduce the amount of time I spent in the kitchen on Sunday. And honestly, I think those are my favorite. They are small enough to pop in your mouth – one bite – which is just fun. 🙂
We’ve got plenty of these to share now – maybe I’ll bring these to work to share. Or maybe I’ll eat them all myself. We’ll see how generous I’m feeling. 🙂
And now it’s your turn. What creations did you come up with for Vodka week?!
Questions for you:
- How do you like your muffins – savory or sweet?
- What do you think of brunch drinks turned muffins? I’ve got a few more ideas…