This time of year, it seems like everyone is struggling with staying healthy and feeling their best. People at work are getting sick & they bring those germs into to the office to share with others (and if you have kids, they are fighting this at school). You are trying to balance your goal of a healthy weight with all the treats at work and holiday parties. Each morning you wake up feeling tired, you never seem to get enough rest anymore. If you travel often (as I do), this only complicates everything!
Staying healthy this winter doesn’t have to be hard. I have found that there are just a few simple things you can do to make a big impact on your health. These are the same tips that I follow in my own life and help me stay healthy and have plenty of energy for whatever life throws at me.
Top Tips for Winter Wellness
1. Eat More Veggies
When there are lots of food temptations around, make sure you start by loading up on the foods that will give you the nutrients your body needs to feel it’s best. Starting with veggies will not only give you extra vitamins & minerals, but it will also help you feel full & satisfied.
- Focus on green, leafy, and colorful veggies. For winter, include seasonal veggies like brussels sprouts, spinach, radishes, & kale.
- Save the winter squash & potatoes (starchy carbs) for after a workout, if you are looking to lose some excess pounds.
- Aim for 6-8 servings a day. If you have a hard time hitting this number, consider a greens powder to help you fill the gap.
2. Smart Supplementation
Even with a perfect diet, you probably still want to include supplements in your daily routine to help your body get all the nutrients you need. I publish a supplement guide each year, but let’s focus on the basics you’ll want to include for winter wellness.
- Multivitamin: Look for a whole foods based option that targets the recommended daily allowance of vitamins and minerals, in an easily digestible format. Many of the “premium” supplements on the market are a high-dose variety, which can lead to toxic levels or excreting the excess (instead of absorbing for your body to use). You can learn about the brands I use in my supplement guide.
- Omega 3: Our diets have changed quite a bit over the past century and the ideal balance of 1:1 for Omega 3 and 6 is rarely achieved through diet alone. Supplementing with Omega 3s helps even the balance out, which helps with inflammation, fat metabolism, brain health, memory… and a host of other benefits.
- Probiotic: Did you know that 80% of your immune system is in your GI tract? Focusing on the proper balance of gut bacteria is a great way to support your immune system – just make sure you look for a broad spectrum of bacteria that survives through to your intestines for absorption. Look for a brand that includes a pre-biotic and is double-wall encapsulated.
- OnGuard Beadlets + Softgels: This time of year I make sure to take 2 beadlets every day for immune support. These are tiny capsules with ¼ drop of the On Guard oil, which is well researched for immune support. If I start to feel something coming on, I’ll swap out to the soft gel which includes a few more powerful oils in the blend for extra support!
The Cleanse & Restore kit is a great bundle if this is your focus area. Learn more about saving 25% off the supplements & oils I use and recommend.
3. Prioritize Sleep
How many hours of sleep do you get a night? This is part of the health puzzle that most people overlook, but it’s critical for immune support, mental acuity, metabolism, and xxx. At a minimum, aim for at least 7 hours a night (8 is the minimum for athletes).
Here’s a few tips to help you maximize your sleep time:
- Make sure it’s really dark by using blackout shades or sleeping with an eyemask.
- Diffuse oils to promote restful sleep. doTERRA Lavender oil is a great place to start – maybe with a few drops of Breathe during the winter for open airways. Learn more blends by joining my Natural Health & Oils community (search for #diffuserblends)
- Block out the outside world with a sound machine, or using an app like Relax & Sleep on your phone.
- Check your mattress! We recently upgraded to a toxin-free, hybrid matress which has helped us to sleep even better and wake more refreshed!
4. Immune Supporting Oils
Be the person at the office that ISN’T getting sick using essential oils to help boost your immune system & stay healthy. Here are a few simple ways to use the oils daily for a strong immune system. You can read even more about this topic on my 10 tips for immune support,
- Use On Guard daily! I start my day by rolling On Guard onto the bottom of my feet – where the large pores help the oil absorb quickly into the bloodstream and throughout your body. If someone in the house is sick, diffuse this oil to help clean the air and keep others’ immune systems strong. If you’re feeling a little less than perfect, add a drop to your tea or beverage for an extra boost
- If you feel the yuck coming on, it’s time to grab your Oregano. This is a powerful oil, so always dilute for safety. Mix with franctionated coconut oil and rub into the bottom of your feet several times a day. Or add a few drops to a veggie capsule and take internally a few times a day.
- What do you think is the best antioxident? Believe it or not, Clove (also in On Guard) is at the TOP of that list as a very powerful antioxdient. Cloves have been used for centuries for its anti-bacterial, antiseptic, and anti-fungal properties. Try gargling this oil or add it to you next winter baking recipe.
- Try this blend that I shared on my FITaspire Health account a few weeks ago for an extra immune boost:
Need an extra immune boost?? Grab your oils & let’s mix up an Immune bomb blend to give you that extra boost. Internal (doterra oils only) Add 2 drops each to a veggie capsule & take 1-2 times per day: Lemon, On Guard, Frankincense, Meleleuca, & Oregano Roller bottle (10ml) Add 10 drops reach On Guard & Lemon, then 5 drops each of Frankincense & Oregano. Top with FCO (fractionated coconut oil) and massage into bottoms of feet 1-2x per day. PS – all these oils are included in my favorite kit — Home Essentials — which is ⭐20% off for a limited time😄!! If you’ve been thinking about oils, this is your time. Click the link in my profile or message me for more info!
Click here to learn more about the only brand of oil that I use and recommend (and how to save 25% off your order)
5. Wash Your Hands
I saved the easiest tip for last, but that doesn’t make it any less important. Don’t forget to wash your hands often! We touch a lot of stuff in a normal day that is covered with germs – don’t let those germs spread to your face by forgetting to wash your hands.
You’ve probably already thrown away the anti-bacterial soaps with triclosan, so look for a natural anti-bacterial option (like On Guard Foaming Hand Wash) to clean your hands safely throughout the day.
Add one of these tips to your routine this week and start seeing the benefits in your health! What other tips do you have to stay healthy all winter?