Mmmmmm…waaaffles. Can you hear Homer Simpson saying that line?
One of the perfect breakfast meals! Not only are they delicious, but they are easy to adapt to any cravings you might be having.
Made with my favorite protein waffle mix, it takes less than 5 minutes to make a delicious meal that is inspired by a decadent French breakfast. But don’t worry, these are a much healthier version and are even competition diet approved! You can certainly add the powdered sugar that I left out, but I don’t think it’s missing any flavor the way it is.
I’ve made this recipe a few times in the past few months – it works great as breakfast or a snack. These happen to be topped with a duck egg and a chicken egg, but if your farmer’s market doesn’t happen to have that it’s okay. A plain ol’ chicken egg works just fine. I always recommend free-range, organic, happy chicken eggs for the best flavor!
- 1 cup Kodiak Powercakes mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 2-3 ounces cubed ham
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons tart cherry jelly
- Mix together powercakes mix through cubed ham. Add mix 1/2-3/4 cups at a time to hot waffle iron – cook until brown.
- While cooking, crack eggs into hot pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Cook to desired degree of doneness (I prefer over easy).
- Top each waffle with a tablespoon of jelly, then 1-2 fried eggs. Smash with a fork to spread the yolk, instead of syrup. Enjoy!
[Tweet “A healthier twist on the montecristo — as a protein waffle #recipe! #fitfluential!”]
Questions for you:
- What is the decadent breakfast creation you dream of?
- Have you tried duck eggs?