This week is full of celebrations in our house, starting with Kirk’s birthday. Now it’s time to prepare for the holiday everyone celebrates this coming weekend with Valentine’s Day!
Valentine’s Day is the one day each year that’s set aside to make your loved one feel special, but often it’s turned into a day where you feel forced to spend a lot of money. In our house, we have tried to keep this day from turning into an expensive, commercial holiday. In fact, we often set a limit of no more than $25 for any gift (and honestly, we don’t usually do gifts).
Instead, we look for ways to say “I love you” a little differently throughout the day. If you’d like to make this year a little less commercial and a little more from the heart, I have 14 ideas to help you get started this year.
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” — A. A. Milne
14 Ways to Say I Love You
1. Bringing them a cup of coffee, just the way they like it.
2. A smile across a crowded room.
3. Do one thing you don’t like, but they really appreciate (like making the bed).
4. After a long day at the office, have a bubble bath and a glass of her favorite beverage waiting at home.
5. Hide a small love note somewhere they will find it (in their car, on their office desk, in the pantry).
6. Text them an unexpected complement when you’re not together.
7. Complement him/her in front of your friends.
[Tweet “Show your love this #Valentines Day with one of these 14 #tips.”]
8. Warm his/her towel in the dryer while they’re in the shower and deliver it to them HOT when they get out.
9. Watch the sunset together while sharing a bottle of wine (or sparkling cider). If it’s cold, this is even better bundled up under piles of blankets!
10. Sip hot cocoa together by firelight (and or candle light) and talk.
11. Serve a surprise breakfast in bed.
12. Give him/her a foot massage.
13. Hold hands while watching a movie together.
14. Eat dinner by candlelight.
I hope this gives you just a few ideas of how to show your love for your better half. Remember to make them feel special 365 days a year, not just on Valentine’s Day. But a little extra effort on this special day is always appreciated.
Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”- Maya Angelou
Editors Note: This post was originally published in February 2014 and has been revamped and updated for accuracy and the latest information.
Bragging time –
Tell me one way you are showing your love to someone special today?
Did your special someone plan something special for you?