Happy St Patrick’s Day! Not only is this a fun holiday, featuring one of my favorite colors (did you know my Jeep is green?), but it’s also the first week of vacation for 2014!! And I’m happy to share with you a simple recipe for a green shake to celebrate this fun day, with natural coloring from one of my daily supplements – spirulina.
The cocoa nibs in this shake aren’t necessary, but I thought it needed something more when I mixed up the smooth version. Although cocoa nibs can have a strong, cocoa flavor, it blends nicely with the minty flavor of this smoothie. And mint + chocolate is a delicious combination in my book. Kirk does NOT agree, he’s not a fan of mint and valiantly agreed to taste test before he realized how minty this drink was!
If you love mint as much as me, you’re going to enjoy every sip of this minty fresh shake.
- 10.5 ounces Silken Tofu
- 1/2-3/4 cup of Almond Milk
- 1-2 teaspoons of spirulina (I used Nutrex Spirulina)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa nibs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla stevia (I used NuNaturals)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Mix tofu in blender or food processor until smooth. Add almond milk to desired consistency (I used 1/2 cup, which is a thick shake). Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Note: If you aren’t used to spirulina’s taste, start with the lower end of the range, so you don’t notice the taste.
And now it’s the time to see what others cooked up for this week’s challenge! In case you are new to MMAZ, the goal is to create a meatless recipe that features the week’s key ingredient (in this case – tofu). If you join the fun, make sure your visit at least a few other participants to help build our little community and share the wealth:
Questions for you:
How are you celebrating St Patrick’s Day?