I’ve been training for my competition for almost 6 weeks now. That means I’ve had 6 weeks to figure out more about how to get more creative within “the rules” of my nutrition plan. And I’m finally getting to the point that I’m coming up with fun recipes again!
This was my favorite of all the meals I’ve been eating this week. Dessert that’s actually good for you?! You get to eat 3 cupcakes per serving, which packs in over 30 grams of protein in just 200 calories. And each serving contains 3 ounces of veggies!
The bad part of this recipe? I’m all out! I have a feeling that these will be making another appearance on my menu next week…maybe I’ll come up with a slightly different variation (any requests?)! But for now, you must try this #strangebutgood cupcake – packed with pumpkin to help usher in the Fall season. Nevermind that I’ve been eating TONS of pumpkin for 6 weeks. 🙂
- +For the cupcakes
- 9 egg whites
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 2 ounces spinach
- 3 Scoops Chocolate Protein (I use Vega Performance Protein)
- 6 Tablespoons ground Flaxseed
- 1/3 CUP baking stevia
- 3 Tablespoon Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- +For the frosting
- 3 tablespoon vanilla protein powder (I use Vega Performance Protein)
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 9 drops stevia
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Start by combining egg whites through spinach in a blender and mix until all ingredients are smooth and combined. Add remaining cupcake ingredients and blend until incorporated. Divide evenly into muffin tins or silicone muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Allow to cool completely.
- To make frosting, mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Slowly add a little water to the mix, stirring until smooth (amount depends on your protein powder). Spread evenly on top of each cupcake (i used a cake frosting knife to make this easier. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Will keep for up to 1 week.
If you like the sound of this recipe, you should check out the other #strangebutgood creations over at Laura’s blog today. I’m excited to finally have something to submit to this fun group again this week!
Questions for you:
What is your favorite healthy snack?
Do you actually think this recipe is strange (I was torn and actually texted Laura to ask)?
What’s going on this weekend in your world?